Berry Sports Center
Built in 1986, the 88,400 square foot Berry Sports Center contains varsity basketball and volleyball facilities and national and international squash and racquetball courts. The open atrium and skylights provide natural lighting throughout the facility.
The Berry Sports Center was dedicated on May 22, 1987 in honor of John W. Berry ’44 whose $5 million gift was the largest ever made to Dartmouth athletics until the recent gift of $10 million by Douglas C. Floren ’63 and his family for the new varsity house that opened in November 2007. Another gift by Mr. Berry enabled construction to begin in 1985. The basketball arena in the Berry Center is named in honor of Edward Leede ’49 and his family. Mr. Leede is among Dartmouth’s all-time leading scorers and was captain of the 1948-49 team. The Berry Center includes Leede Arena, a 2,100-seat basketball pavilion; two additional regulation basketball courts; a 4,500-square foot strength training and conditioning facility; four varsity locker rooms; squash and racquetball courts, and the athletic ticket office. At the right is the scene in sold-out Leede Arena for the North Carolina game in 1998. Another capacity crowd packed Leede in 2000 to see the Big Green host Virginia. Large crowds are the norm for Ivy League games, especially when Penn and Princeton come to town.