Home of Dartmouth Men's and Women's Lacrosse
When it debuted on Feb. 1, 2000, Scully-Fahey’s AstroTurf field allowed the Big Green to get outside on, what was at the time, the premier surface of the day. With technology changing Dartmouth has changed as well, pulling out the once-favored AstroTurf and installing a new infill FieldTurf surface that is kinder on legs and handles the ball in a more grass-like fashion. The new surface was part of Dartmouth’s overhaul of many athletic facilities over the past few seasons and the new Scully-Fahey Field saw its first game action in the spring of 2009.
Scully-Fahey Field is named in honor of Donald Scully ’49 and Peter Fahey ’68 and their families. Measuring 86,400 square feet, it features spectator seating, fencing, a press box and a scoreboard. It is situated within the Chase Field complex near Rupert Thompson Arena and was constructed at a cost of $4.4 million. Scully-Fahey Field includes seating for 1,600 fans and lights for evening contests.
Scully was a member of Dartmouth’s lacrosse and soccer teams as an undergraduate. He played for legendary coach Tom Dent, who is honored — at the request of the Scully family — with a special plaque at the new facility. Scully was a midfielder and two-time All-America on the Big Green lacrosse teams that rolled up a 31-7 record from 1947-49. He scored 107 goals, a career record that stood for 30 years.
Fahey, who is also a 1970 graduate of the Thayer School of Engineering, was a member of the varsity basketball and track teams. A former member of the College’s board of trustees, Fahey is the father of four Dartmouth graduates — Kimberly ’92, Peter ’94 and Michael ’97 and Katie ’06, who played lacrosse for the Big Green in 2004-05. Both sons played Dartmouth lacrosse. The Big Green women’s lacrosse team played the first official game on the surface on March 5, 2000, defeating New Hampshire, 18-6.